- r having the wind against the forward side of the sails
the ship came up into the wind with all yards aback
- r by surprise
taken aback by the caustic remarks
- But, when the jury came in with her conviction, she reportedly was taken aback.
- At first, McMullen was taken aback.
- I was a bit taken aback because I didn't see it as the primates trying to dictate terms, but to say, look, here is a scheme which we think you could work with.
News & Articles
- Take exception to Harkins’s self-described leadership style
I was taken aback by the current mayor’s statements regarding his “leadership” style. Let’s take a look at some items from last week’s Star . Speaking of the Town Council, he says “we work in a civil and gentlemanly manner.” That is offensive on so many levels.
June 11, 2013 - Stratford Star
- Money, Sex, Power: How To Get Plenty Of One
What motivates you? This is the question that I often ask when meeting other professionals for the first time. Throughout my career, people have always been somewhat taken aback by the question. After they get over their initial surprise, they proceed to add to the endless assortment of responses I’ve heard, such as family, career success, freedom, boating, and even horse riding music. Yes, that ...
June 7, 2013 - Forbes
- Did Michelle Obama heckler use coded racial words? Or not?
The Michelle Obama heckler said she was 'taken aback' at the confrontation, which some say indicated a perspective of 'white privilege.' Her group, GetEQUAL, said 'We value the first lady's leadership.'
June 6, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Jeff Sessions in TIME
I'm just a little taken aback by the tone of your remarks, because it's unconnected to reality,Sessions said. "I know what happened at Harvard. I know you were an outspoken leader against the military policy. I know you acted without legal...
- Jim Furyk in Kansas City Star
This is what he said after playing in the pro-am: "I'm taken aback by its difficulty. I think it's a very tough golf course. It's tough to get the ball in the fairways. The greens are very big, but are cut up into smaller sections. Add to that,...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Terre Haute Tribune Star
His Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, responded at a campaign event in Indianapolis that she was "taken aback by the demeaning remarks Senator Obama made about people in small-town America. Senator Obama's remarks are elitist and they are out of...