- n a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)
- s characteristic of people traditionally classified as the Negro race
- A mighty man, this Richard Hogarth, farmer, with brown skin, round brow, moles on his cheek, lips "negroid in their thick pout," eyes brown, bloodshot, "imperially large.
- A majestic 12th century Christ shields a distinctly negroid young Nubian prince in a fresco blackened across the bottom by smokemute testimony to lamps that once guttered day .
- A ghostly negroid smell haunts them nightly, requiring Antrim's return to Africa to lay the ghost of Dingaan, a black he sent to find the strayed Rawley.