- n the quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white)
- n total absence of light
in the black of night
- n British chemist who identified carbon dioxide and who formulated the concepts of specific heat and latent heat (1728-1799)
- n popular child actress of the 1930's (born in 1928)
- n a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)
- n (board games) the darker pieces
- n black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning)
the widow wore black
- v make or become black
The smoke blackened the ceiling
The ceiling blackened
- a being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness; having little or no hue owing to absorption of almost all incident light
black leather jackets
as black as coal
rich black soil
- a of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin
a great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization"- Martin Luther King Jr.
- s marked by anger or resentment or hostility
- s offering little or no hope
the future looked black
- s stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable
a black lie
his black heart has concocted yet another black deed
- s (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin
- s (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood
a face black with fury
- s extremely dark
a black moonless night
through the pitch-black woods
- s harshly ironic or sinister
- s (of intelligence operations) deliberately misleading
- s distributed or sold illicitly
the black economy pays no taxes
- s (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame
Man...has written one of his blackest records as a destroyer on the oceanic islands"- Rachel Carson
- s (of coffee) without cream or sugar
- s soiled with dirt or soot
with feet black from playing outdoors
his shirt was black within an hour
- RACES Black Expo in Chicago Black Expo was billed as the largest gathering of black businessmen in history.
- Eve Black was fully conscious of what Eve White was doing all the time, but Eve White knew nothing of Eve Blackuntil she came out of a blackout to find her closet full of low .
- Computer hooks a drug ring "Black tuna, black tuna," crackled the clandestine radio.
- Dog Chapman in E! Online
I have the utmost respect and aloha for black people who have suffered so much due to racial discrimination and acts of hatred,Chapman said. "I am deeply disappointed in myself for speaking out of anger to my son and using such a hateful...
- Jimmy Carter in FOXNews
Former President Jimmy Carter said, "I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man."
- Lovie Smith in San Francisco Chronicle
Being the first black coach to lead this team, of course our players knew about it, and they wanted to help us make history,Smith said. "So I feel blessed to be in that position."