- n an official language of the Republic of South Africa; closely related to Dutch and Flemish
- a belonging or relating to white people of South Africa whose ancestors were Dutch or to their language
News & Articles
- Google Drive Gets 18 New Languages
Google has added support for 18 new languages to its Google Drive web app suite. Besides Drive itself, this includes Google Docs, Sheets and Slides. The newly supported languages are Afrikaans, Amharic, Basque, Chinese (Hong Kong), Estonian, French (Canada), Galician, Icelandic, Khmer, Lao, Malaysian, Nepali, Persian, Sinhalese, Spanish (Latin America), Swahili, Urdu and Zulu With these 18 ...
June 19, 2013 - Mashable
- Challenge to elite South African schools that segregate by language
Courts will decide whether Fochville High can offer instruction only in Afrikaans, which blacks mostly do not speak.
June 18, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Google Drive Launches In 18 More Languages
Google announced today that it is launching Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, and Slides) in eighteen new languages. These include: Afrikaans Amharic Basque Chinese (Hong Kong) Estonian French (Canada) Galician Icelandic Khmer Lao Malaysian Nepali Persian Sinhalese Spanish (Latin America) Swahili …
June 18, 2013 - WebProNews
- Jacob Zuma in Independent Online
I am from the old Natal where there is no Afrikaans,Zuma said apologetically.
- FW de Klerk in Independent Online
I find the systematic erosion of the rights and claims of Afrikaans, as established in the Constitution, unacceptable,De Klerk said.
- Desmond Tutu in Washington Post
We have 11 different official languages but only one word for the wonderful institution of braai: in Xhosa, English, Afrikaans, whatever,said Tutu, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1984 for his anti-apartheid struggle.